19/12/2011 - Future Enterprise Board support CEO visit from National Apprenticeship Service

Two youngsters from the Thomas Vale Future Enterprise Board (FEB), have been given the opportunity to voice their opinion with regards to trade-related apprenticeships within the construction sector to one of the most important and influential skills leaders in the UK.

Will Chambers and Tom Penman both started off as trade apprentices when their career in the industry first started, and have since chosen to undertake professional qualifications and degrees in Construction Management.

Tom Penman adds: “It is important that as an industry, young people are utilised as ambassadors to promote the opportunities which are available. Many have always seen construction as just being ‘full of builders’ but it is so much more than that.

“As a young person, I have been fully supported throughout both my training and career – and it is important to promote that construction today, isn’t a short-term solution or quick fix for a ‘job’; today construction is varied, diverse and innovative. It’s a career.”

Will Chambers also added: “To be invited on behalf of the FEB to discuss the continuing influence that apprenticeships can have on shaping the economic sustainability of both the Midlands and the UK, is exciting.

“Whilst I have now just completed my professional studies, my apprenticeship gave me the best footing possible. It doesn’t matter what career or industry its in, apprenticeships are where you learn real life skills.”

Mr. Simon Waugh, CEO of the National Apprenticeship Service, visited the Head Office of Thomas Vale in Stourport-on-Severn, where he met with Senior Management, young apprentices and trainees from the area to discuss the needs and requirements of businesses in order to ensure that young people from across the industry are given the opportunity they need to kick-start a career in construction.

The National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) has end to end responsibility for Apprenticeships in England and has been designed to increase the number of Apprenticeship opportunities and provide a dedicated, responsive service for both employers and learners.

Simon Waugh added: “Apprenticeships bring considerable value to organisations, employers, individuals and the economy. Businesses across the country are now increasingly realising the enormous benefits that Apprenticeships create, not only in terms of a highly skilled workforce but also by boosting productivity and staff retention. Research shows they are an optimal way of training, developing and skilling people for the future, helping businesses secure a supply of people with the skills and qualities they need and which were often not available on the external job market.

“We know employers directly benefit from these highly trained apprentices. The overwhelmingly positive results we have seen demonstrate how important it is for us to ensure the NAS maintains and builds this important programme.”